One of the best ways to enhance the appearance of your property is by cement rendering. Rendering is a cost effective solution to give your property a fresh look and a way to add significant value as well. Especially if your renovating.

When it comes to rendering. You have four types of renders to choose from:

  1. Traditional sand and cement with added lime to prevent cracking.
  2. Polymer-modified render – prevents cracking and helps the cement adhere better.
  3. Acrylic render includes an acrylic plastic.
  4. Plaster – suitable for indoors, because it’s softer and slow-drying.


So what is rendering.

Traditionally rendering is a cement mix with additives that’s applied to a wall to give it a smooth or textured finish. Today there’s a little more to it than just a cement mix. The modern way is to also add acrylic, polymer modifiers and plaster. As I said, rendering is a smooth or textured finish. It can be coloured or painted to give it a unique finish to your property. It’s an ideal way to rejuvenate an old or cracked wall. I mentioned above there’s a number of different types of render. So let’s take a look at your options.

What Type of Render will I Need?

Before you choose the render type, let’s look at what they are so you can understand the difference between then. This way you can then make a better choice for your property.


  1. The traditional sand and cement render mix also has lime added to make it flexible and to prevent cracking.
  2. Polymer-modified render is another type of cement render mix. The polymers prevent unwanted cracking and helps the cement adhere better.
  3. An acrylic render mix includes an acrylic plastic in the mix.
  4. Plaster is a render but is only used for indoors. This is because it is softer and slow-drying.

Depending on the situation, a cement render mix can be applied quite thin or thick. And in most of the rendering jobs you’ll need a number of coats, two or more, Again depending on the job. The first coat is usually applied with a large trowel. The first coat usually fills up cracks, holes and other areas where you’ll need to level out the wall.

Because it’s the first coat, although you need to take care it’s not vital to get it all smooth. It’s the holes and cracks you need to fill in first. The last and final coat depending on the finish, either smooth or a textured finish will be finished with either a roller or a trowel. In some cases you can use a spray on finish but if it’s a DIY that will involve hiring the equipment. Depending on the finish there’s a few tools you can use to get the desired look.


Can I Render Myself?

Well, sure you can. But if your not familiar with what’s needed to be done and you’re looking for a perfect finish, you might want to practice on something first, especially if your doing the front of your property. You’ll want to get it right. There are cement products available for DIY jobs. But as I said before, rendering is a skill that can take a long time to master. So unless you hire a professional Brisbane renderer, you might struggle to get the results you want. It’s not as easy as you may think.


What i’d recommend is to get a professional to do the job. Your get the results first time and if there’s any issues we will know what to do to. You might even be surprised at how affordable a professional renderer is.

Yes, you can apply render yourself, but get quotes from rendering services before you buy your bags of render. Letting the professionals handle the job will ensure you get the results you want and you will probably be surprised by how affordable their professional services can be.

If your looking for a professional Brisbane rendering company please get in touch to dicsucc your options with us.